Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4675980 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #19260 on: December 31, 2022, 10:26:36 am »
Knife stand made, curly maple , antler and deer toe for the stop, more stave work and then the second snow came, a little more than the first and with it  Zero temps.  :) made working in my outside shop a challenge but I got by, after staying out in it for several hours it don't feel that bad. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19261 on: December 31, 2022, 10:30:20 am »
I went into the protection mode trying to keep pipes from freezing and fish tank from freezing solid, my plan worked pretty good, heat lamps and small heaters spread here and there worked pretty good, it stayed single digit for 2 days and then not out of the teens for a couple more, not what we are use to in the south. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19262 on: December 31, 2022, 10:33:47 am »
In between working on staves I decided to make up some more jerky, I always make up my own mix according to my taste, turned out good, I like muscle jerky better but this shooter jerky ant bad and much easier to make. I done 7 lbs and got a little over 3lbs once dried. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19263 on: December 31, 2022, 10:39:18 am »
Got 9 Osage staves ready to make bows and 5 hickory, we have a few more to do but getting close to what we wanted to have ready for the classic. :) Got my knife and stand finished along with a sheath made, also worked up about 30 Turkey wings that was gifted to me in the fall, been putting it off and decided it was time to get them worked up. Also started another neck knife, Man can't have to many knives and I really enjoy making them. :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 10:46:44 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19264 on: December 31, 2022, 10:43:37 am »
Got the blade ready to heat treat and temper and the handle all fitted, another deer leg bone for the handle. I will finish it up next year  :) ;) ;) ;) Headed home to spend the new year with Miss Joanie, we have for years just spent a quite peaceful New years eve together, great woman I have. ;) :) :) Hope yall have a good one also and a Blessed 2023 Happy NEW YEARS !!!!!!!!! Life is Good.
 Pappy
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 04:41:39 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19265 on: December 31, 2022, 05:14:00 pm »
Happy New Year, Pappy and Miss Joanie!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19266 on: December 31, 2022, 06:22:46 pm »
Thanks Eddie, same to you and Kathy, by the way the new rasp was one the the ones for gave me a year or 2 ago, it works really well, thanks 🙏 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #19267 on: January 01, 2023, 04:43:27 am »
Happy New Year Pappy ! Thanks as always  (=) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19268 on: January 01, 2023, 07:08:17 am »
Happy New Year Pappy

I have been working on jerky and smoking summer sausage too. I really enjoy it and it taste great.
Very rewarding especially with the cost of everything in the stores.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19269 on: January 01, 2023, 09:10:10 am »
I don't do summer sausage but do a lot of Brats/Jerky and ground once the freezer is full of steak and roast and have  extra venison as I usually do, Miss Joanie said it ant cheap ??? :-\ and she is probably right if you figure your time but still cheaper that store bought and much better IMO, plus I really enjoy doing it  ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19270 on: January 08, 2023, 05:18:14 pm »
Great weekend, lots of shop time and some hunting thrown in, no deer but did see a few for a change, it's over now till next year, ended today. I have a couple more large knifes in the works, 2 big files before and after softening. Also decide to put a deer toe knuckle bone cap on my last neck knife, turned out pretty cool. I have been working on some hickory staves for the Classic, some had a lot of problems, 1 I just couldn't get the back like I wanted so I decided to just make it for myself, R&D rawhide backed. ;)
 Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19271 on: January 08, 2023, 05:21:01 pm »
Got my hickory on the form/2 blades roughed out and started some stands for my last 2 knives. Dog Wood burl and old barn wood, deer antlers and deer toe stop. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19272 on: January 08, 2023, 05:24:24 pm »
Neck knife finished with stand, Got the handle fitted for my big Bowie then took some time to work on the wood pile, it's looking very sad so we hauled a load or 2 and will need a lot more before the Classic.
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19273 on: January 08, 2023, 05:29:43 pm »
Started putting the rawhide on the back of my hickory, I usually wrap it for about and hour till glue sets, TB3, then take the wrap off and work out any problems, lucky with this one, no problems at all, laid down nice and smooth with no air bubbles. Still got a few deer coming in, just not mine. ??? ;) :) :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 05:48:50 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19274 on: January 08, 2023, 05:32:58 pm »
 Rawhide backed hickory trimmed and ready to dry a few days before tips and tillering.Shawn working on a HHB limb bow, it is looking very good. After a lot of not so good splices I am getting much better at cutting them, I guess practice make prefect as they say. :-\ ;) Got the handle on my Bowie tapered/heat treated and tempered and handle glued up, deer leg bone. :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 05:49:22 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good