Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 693882 times)

Offline ty_in_ND

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2925 on: June 08, 2016, 11:30:51 pm »
Well, it's been a bit since I've posted, as I was out visiting family for a week, followed by a week of working on projects around the house.  Some of those projects were archery related, though!  I do have pictures to post, but it's a little late for me now and I still have to crop them and upload them to imgur.  However, I can say I'm close to done on my plan B bow and I have my trilam glued up and ready to cut to dimension.

I'll be sure to get up early to get the pics posted and to see what you gents have to say!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2926 on: June 09, 2016, 10:30:44 am »
Hey Hammer, that's a beauty!

I been scraping on my A and B and will try to get pics up of both later today for input on bend.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2927 on: June 09, 2016, 11:08:54 am »
I like it hammer. We don't have those bull snakes around here. They got a nice pattern

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #2928 on: June 09, 2016, 12:35:48 pm »
That bow does look really slick, Hammer!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #2929 on: June 09, 2016, 12:55:01 pm »
OK, here are the pics I promised!

Here's what she looks like braced at 6.5 inches (the top limb is to the left):

Here's the full draw picture (I'll try to take another one, I had the arrow in there for reference since my personal draw in longer than what the bow is and the arrow is just a touch high on the tillering string, but you'll hopefully get the general idea of how it's bending):

And here's how the bow looks right after I unstrung it (after it was strung for about an hour while I took a few shots through it and served a temporary string for it):

Finally, here's how the trilam is looking.  I finally got around to cutting out and tapering a new core lam (this one is walnut) while I was on my vacation.  Instead of using the black palm I was thinking of using, I actually found a really nice maple board at the local Menards that has a great figure on it (and the board cost me $15!) that I used for the handle.  It's nice and flamey (I'll try to get a better picture of the handle or board).

Now to clean up all the excess glue, trim it to size, glue on some tip overlays, and start bending it!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2930 on: June 09, 2016, 02:17:04 pm »
Bows are looking good Hammer and Ty. I'm going to try to finish mine this weekend and hopefully only need to add finish and handle wrap.

I was scheduled for a hernia operation yesterday but a confused schedule got me postponed to a later date.  Next week I'm heading into a different clinic for a final decision on double knee replacements. I'm not getting around well at the moment and need to get finished up in order to meet the deadline. I can't wait any longer on the surgeries so wish me luck.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2931 on: June 09, 2016, 03:50:13 pm »
Good luck Fred. Most folks I know that have had their knees done wish they would have done it sooner. I hear moving about is easier if it doesn't hurt that much.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2932 on: June 09, 2016, 07:27:29 pm »
good luck Fred,hope everything works out well for ya. Hammer, love those skins. Ty, that stik looks awesome, great bend ya got goin.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2933 on: June 09, 2016, 09:37:59 pm »
Fred, good luck with your surgeries.  I hope they don't keep you down too long. 

Offline half eye

« Reply #2934 on: June 09, 2016, 09:58:00 pm »
Damned Fred, You gonna be a real sore fella for a while....hope all goes well during surgery and short, successful recovery sir.
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2935 on: June 09, 2016, 10:05:49 pm »
Fred take care of those knees you will have 12 weeks of recovery.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2936 on: June 09, 2016, 11:03:20 pm »
Hammer & ty - bows are looking real nice.

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2937 on: June 11, 2016, 04:21:36 pm »
I finally got the sinew backed ERC molle shooting. It came in a few pounds lighter than I wanted. It's 37# at 27" draw but flings a 500+ grain arrow harder than I expected it to. I have a bit more shooting to do with it and the final sanding, but to me it already feels like a fun one to shoot. After shooting and being strung for an hour it came out flat, but after about 2 minutes of being unbraced, it pops back to its inch of reflex. It has some kinks from the sinew trying to buckle the cedar while drying and it has about an ounce, maybe two of super glue to reinforce all the knots and cracks from the sinew trying to pull the wood apart. Here's a few pictures, I'll get a full draw Monday when I can get a buddy to take a picture for me. Then Itll be time to decorate.

Kyle

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #2938 on: June 11, 2016, 04:24:11 pm »
Best wishes to you, Fred.  I know the recovery will be rough, but I've had people in my life get knee replacements and they all have had a better time getting around after the surgery, so just hang in there!

As far as the plan B bow goes, here's a few sneak peaks.  This is after I sanded it down and applied a coat of tung oil:

The front of the handle section

The back

The tip

As a reminder, it's a hickory bow with hickory heartwood as the overlays and handle section.  I think it'll look nice after I get a few more coats of tung oil on it.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #2939 on: June 11, 2016, 04:28:05 pm »
I finally got the sinew backed ERC molle shooting. It came in a few pounds lighter than I wanted. It's 37# at 27" draw but flings a 500+ grain arrow harder than I expected it to. I have a bit more shooting to do with it and the final sanding, but to me it already feels like a fun one to shoot. After shooting and being strung for an hour it came out flat, but after about 2 minutes of being unbraced, it pops back to its inch of reflex. It has some kinks from the sinew trying to buckle the cedar while drying and it has about an ounce, maybe two of super glue to reinforce all the knots and cracks from the sinew trying to pull the wood apart. Here's a few pictures, I'll get a full draw Monday when I can get a buddy to take a picture for me. Then Itll be time to decorate.

Kyle

That's a good lookin bow the way it is!  It'll be sweet to see it all finished.